Sunday, November 16, 2008

A quiet week...

Well, I left off my last blog posting having just lost my ATM card. The good news is, I was able to make arrangements here with Pam to provide me with enough cash until my new ATM card can somehow arrive by way of another tourist. The mail service is completely unreliable so, therefore, not even a consideration. But no worries, I have enough to eat and I even bought a new pair of shoes today, so life is good!

I worked Monday-Friday in the office at Explorama, walking to work each day, which takes about 15 minutes. A lot more organizing and gathering of information about the wide variety of special projects in the works. These projects range from building latrines, painting schools, building mini water purification plants, fish farms, bridge repair, dorm rooms, and more. They happen along the Amazon and one of its tributaries, the Napo River, in villages that are already part of the Adopt A School program. Funding sources come from different people who simply want to donate money. They ask only that CONAPAC wisely spends it in the improvement of the lives of the "ribereños" or river people. From what I’ve seen so far, not only is the money well-spent, but it truly is making a difference in the lives of those who can most protect and sustain the integrity of the world’s largest and most precious rain forest. As a confessed "tree hugger", I'm glad to be a small part of it!

This past week I tried a little home-cooking in my very make-shift kitchen. Usually, I just "nosh" on fruit, nuts, drinkable yogurt (yummy!), crackers, tuna, peanut butter, etc. for my breakfast and lunch, then it’s dinner out. But to save money on dinner, this week I made an omelet one night and some pasta with a tomato/asparagus sauce another. I also whipped up a lovely bowl of guacamole. There are no nacho chips here so I just ate it straight out of the bowl (which is what I’d rather do anyway!) There is a communal kitchen at my place with an absolutely ancient refrigerator that, at best, "cools" the food. (They don´t refrigerate eggs here, by the way). Also, a small microwave oven and a single hotplate with the only temperature setting being "burn". I don't think the place is electrically grounded because when I cook with a metal spoon in the pan, I get a mild current running through my body. The kitchen has a collection of odds and ends for plates, bowls, glasses, mugs and silverware. There are no cooking utensils at all so you have to use the silverware at hand. Today my search in the city was for my very own paring knife, spatula, wooden stirring spoon (to help with the electrical short) and misc. cups, bowls and dishtowels. These things I will keep in my room and use when I need them. I’ll keep you posted on my future attempts at culinary delights in this challenging space...and this coming from a former kitchen designer! I will have to take a picture to go along with all my other kitchen photos from CareCrafted. :)

My very best friend here in Iquitos is a charming young man named Jose Luis (hereafter I will call JL). JL works at the "La Casona" where I live and I met him the last time I stayed here in the winter. We corresponded during the summer so it was wonderful to see him again. He is a delightful young man! He speaks English very well and is quite curious about the world around him. We can speak on a wide range of topics which you all know pleases me! He is about 23, just started speaking English at 18, and yet his range of vocabulary and understanding of English idioms is quite surprising. He particularly likes American slang and has a good grasp of its nuances. I hope to get a book of American slang to him before I leave by way of a friend who will be visiting here in January. JL has been working in the tourist industry as a guide and now in the hostel where I live. He is a "natural" in the hospitality field. He wants to have his own restaurant/bar someday and will name it "Que Rico". Now this expression, as he describes it to me, is what you say when you have had a particularly pleasant, but simple, experience...such as finishing a good book, having a good meal, enjoying a friend’s good conversation, relaxing after a long day’s work in your bed or by the beach, etc....You lean back, sigh and say, "que rico". So keep this in mind the next time you have a joy-filled moment!

Lastly this week, I was invited to the school of Arianna, Pam´s 10 year old daughter. The occasion was her all-school singing recital with ages ranging from 3-18 years old. Arianna was singing a solo, "I Will Survive", in English. She was quite good and won her age group. So, how do I describe a Peruvian recital? Well, we were outside, of course, under a palm-thatched roof with a stage, benches and plastic chairs. There were about 150 people of all ages but a sound system to service about 1500 people. Needless to say, it was overly loud and in your face--so this just generally drowned out the children's voices. The general scene was a lot of talking, screaming, eating, drinking, whining, and moving about by everyone, with no one in particular watching the stage, except the family members in question--in other words, general chaos. Much video taping and photo flashing was taking place as each act came and went. It started raining with a few leaks here and there where we sat, which then seemed to short out the electric guitars. All in all, not unlike an American recital where lots of kids and lots of family members sit waiting for their child’s one small moment of glory...and praying it will all be over soon. But did I have a good time? Yes! Was it another memorable Peruvian experience? Of course! Will I be invited to go again? I certainly hope so!

Well, I’ll sign off for now. For those of you in the north, stay warm; in the south, stay cool; and those in between, keep the faith! :) Have a great week...

3 comments:

Rick said...

I enjoy reading your experienceses, as for the hot plate you should be right at home(do they have cheese). I would like to know what you are doing for Explorama on a daily basis. I said before this will be your new home. Take care Luv R

Linda said...

I read your blog today now that our home computer is functioning. How colorful. You allow us to feel as though we are traveling with you, and in some respects we are. We have snow in RC as of Sunday! I feel for you having lost your ATM card, remembering when mine was stolen in a foreign land. O.K. it was just Canada, but still difficult! Couldn't help but smile about the rooster crowing. Did you know that reformed churches in Switzerland put roosters on their steeples instead of crosses to signify the new day of the reformation. Let's all crow about reformation! Linda up North

Phyllis said...

i feel as though i am there with you having been now twice. am truly jealous of you in your short-sleeved shirts, as we are well into turtlenecks and winter coats! have had snow and cold and it isn't even officially winter! did you ever get your ATM card back? such a hassle...good to have rich friends like Pam...bet you are polishing your SPANISH! will write again...not much to report

Followers